Monday, June 2, 2014

If You Love Someone, Tell Them NOW.

If you love someone, tell them now.
If you love someone, tell them now.
If you LOVE someone, tell them NOW.

I am all for love and relationships and the first taste of the honeymoon phase where you can't sleep or eat and all you want to do is dance because you've realized you're in love. I am all for that kind of love, for those moments in life. But if you that's the kind of blog post you were hoping for, you need to press the back button now. I don't write for Disney.

I do believe that when you love someone, you should tell them you do, so as to encourage them and lift their spirits. However, it's much more complicated than that.

If you love someone, tell them now.
If you love someone, and there is something you need to tell them, tell them NOW.

There is a concept I have learned over and over many times in the past three years: Time waits for no man, nor does time take direction from man. All we have ever wanted as an imperfect species is the control over the one thing we could never quite master: time. We all want more time to spend with people, or time to go by faster so we can get to Friday, or for time to "do its job" and heal all wounds. 

As a Christian, the one thing that has sent me into spirals of worry is the concept of time. The bible is extremely clear that no one ever promised you a tomorrow. Time is borrowed and not promised. 

So while you're on borrowed time, and you love someone, tell them now. Whatever it is. Tell them you want them to get healthier because you're concerned. Tell them to please, for the love of God, pick up a book because they are click-click-clicking their lives away on the internet. Tell them to set a goal, and tell them to achieve it. If you love someone, tell them to get help, and tell them now.

There is a known saying that if we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat history. And there are some like myself who think we've outsmarted history until it repeats itself. I have sat through the funerals of the ones I love, having not told them what needed to be said, because I thought I was smarter than time, smarter than the one thing money can't buy.

Please get off drugs. This is not who you are.
Please stop smoking. I need you to walk me down the isle.
Please stop drinking. I need to know what a real male role model is like.

They have taken my unsaid words to the grave because time waits for no man. I could have changed a life, but I kept my mouth shut. I could have totally helped them dodge a funeral, but I didn't tell them.

If you love someone, tell them now.
If you love someone, tell them now.
If you LOVE someone, tell them NOW.



No comments:

Post a Comment